Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Summer is over. School has started.

Yesterday officially marked our last day of summer. Today officially marked our first day of our second year of homeschooling and our first year of homeschooling 2 at a time! It also is our first year using The Weaver, which is a Bible integrated unit studies cirriculum. This year we'll be weaving through Gensis. Im very excited about this and my excitment has boiled over into the girls! We are going to learn so much and dig so deep into scripture I know I'll be learning right along side the girls. Derek has decided he'll be teaching science when he gets home from work on our science days. The girls are also really excited about this too. This will allow him to be apart of our schooling experience and know exactly what theyre learning. Having him be involved is such a blessing...a total answer to prayer. I had been reading a book and it talked about the importance of having a dad involved in the homeschool experience rather then just a bystander looking in. I decided rather than nag or pressure him into getting involved I would just pray about it and let God take care of stirring his heart. I kid you not, I quietly sat on the couch, silently asking the Lord to put helping out with school on Dereks heart, one evening while Derek was talking to me. Within 2 mins, out of the blue, Derek says "I was thinking maybe I could teach the girls one subject when I get home from work". I got a big smile on my face and Derek asked why that was so funny. I then told him about how I JUST prayed God would put that on his heart! How cool is that?!?! I think it is so awesome when God instantly answers our prayers! So it was decided science will be his. We'll be doing science 2 days a week. The girls are really excited about getting to do experiments and projects at night when dad gets home. How blessed these girls are to have Derek as their dad!
Wow, I really went on a bunny trail there.

Well today we woke up to our new school routine. If you know me very well you know its very hard for me to be on a schedule. I just never can seem to get the hang of it. I cant imagine that having to do with the fact that I havent had a full nights sleep in the last 8 years though, lol. I went to bed around 10 last night with the intent of waking up at 6:30. I would get to spend some time with Derek before he left for work and get in some quiet time reading my Bible and praying. Well Audrey decided last night would be a great night to wake up every hour and a half. Oh the joys of having a nursing, co-sleeping baby. (And I wouldnt change it for the world!) Anyways between these 1 and half hour stints of sleep Ava woke up twice and came in our bed to snuggle. One time she said she had bad dreams that bugs were biting her in her room. Poor thing. Anyways, needless to say I got very very little sleep last night. BUT I was awake at 6:30 and we have had a wonderful day. Both girls woke up excited to start the first day of school. Ava was SUPER excited. Jumping up and down realizing she was going to be doing school (pre-k) with us. We ate, everyone showered and got dressed and had all morning chores done by 9 o'clock. (this is an amazing task in this household, lol). We had a wonderful morning starting review of last year for Elisa and going through the days of Creation with both girls. I'll post pics of the girls project theyre working when they complete it on Friday. I am just so blessed to be able to stay home with my kids and have the opportunity to teach them in the way they should go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are such a good mommy. Lucky girls!